What is Our Big Gig?
Our Big Gig is a community music celebration which will take place across the UK from the 10th - 12th July 2015.
Presented by Superact, this annual event – which was formerly known as the Bandstand Marathon - brings communities together to improve community cohesion and inspire more people to take part in music making opportunities in their local area.
All Our Big Gig events are organised by local volunteers that come from a wide range of community groups, organisations and associations.
Why take part in Our Big Gig?
Superact will provide the following package of support to help Community Event Organisers run their Our Big Gig events.
- £200 pledge to kick start crowd funding campaign through Spacehive
- A place at a regional training event – providing guidance on how to crowd fund and event management
- Publicity materials, including two large vinyl Our Big Gig banners and electronic poster and flyer templates
- Advice and guidance from Superact’s team of Regional Managers
- Free Community Event Organiser’s Toolkit
- Events will be featured in the Our Big Gig national and regional publicity
- Signpost artists and workshop leaders to events
Who can be part of Our Big Gig?
Organisations and individuals in the UK can be part of Our Big Gig.
Currently funding is only available to community groups in England. However people outside of England can still register to run a Spacehive campaign and be part of Our Big Gig.
Please note that all Our Big Gig events should:
- Take place from the 10th - 12th July 2015
- Be free to attend
- Present opportunities for people to participate in a range of musical activities
How do I register?
There are two ways to get involved:
1) Register with Spacehive to access funding for your event.
2) Register as an unfunded event and access everything in the above support package except funding
Who funds Our Big Gig?
Our Big Gig has been funded since 2012 by the Department of Communities and Local Government (DCLG). The DCLG supports Our Big Gig as part of its Integration Strategy which aims to create conditions for a more cohesive society.
What makes Our Big Gig special?
All Our Big Gig events take place across one weekend in July – creating a unified sense of nationwide, community celebration.
Our Big Gig presents community organisations with a fantastic opportunity to hold a musical celebration in local villages, towns and cities, bringing diverse members of the community together and provide a platform to showcase positive community achievements.
Events are eclectic and will see all kinds of music played at a real mix of venues, including parks, community centres, schools, faith centres, bandstands, sports clubs and community run pubs.
Our Big Gig events will all have some element of participation, inspiring attendees to actively engage with music-making and learn more about the music scene in their local area.
Superact hope that Our Big Gig will also rejuvenate underused public performance spaces such as bandstands and town centres, giving them new relevance and drawing attention to the importance of local performance opportunities for all members of the community.
Who are the organisers of Our Big Gig?
Our Big Gig is developed, delivered and managed by Superact.
Superact is not-for-profit organisation that uses music and the arts to develop social impact projects.
Working specifically in the areas of community development, justice and health and wellbeing, Superact's projects are participatory and work to improve lives through creativity.